UNTIL WE WIN
SEVERE & CATASTROPHIC INJURIES
In 2017, more than 28 million Americans sought medical care at an emergency room after sustaining an injury, according to the Centers for Disease Control, and almost 3 million of them were injured severely enough to require hospitalization. Most of them were injured in car, slip and fall, truck and motorcycle accidents, but others were pedestrians or were injured in bicycle or ATV accidents. Some also received their injuries from a defective product. Regardless of how they were injured, many of them suffered catastrophic injuries, including traumatic brain injuries, severe burns and spinal cord injuries. Unfortunately, a significant percentage of those injured found that their lives would never be the same.
A severe injury can have a catastrophic impact on your life, your finances, your dreams, and the lives of your family. You may find that you are unable to do the things that you need to do, much less the things that you want to do. You may be dealing with severe pain and numerous visits to doctors and/or therapists. You are unable to work, but the bills for your medical care keep piling up. You may be having trouble just paying your normal living expenses during this difficult time. You worry that you may not be able to resume your career or continue your education. Your dream of taking your family on a lovely vacation or buying a new home may seem impossible to achieve.
Speaking of your family, how has your injury affected their lives? Perhaps you were always the one who cared for others, but you now need help to care for yourself. If money is tight, you may have to rely on your parents, spouse or children for financial support. You may have witnessed a glimmer of disappointment when your spouse or child realized that a promised gift was now beyond your financial means. Most of all, though, you may realize that they are worried about you. You are very aware of how much it hurts you when someone you love is suffering. You would like to alleviate their concerns and take away the pain that they are feeling.
At times, however, you feel that there is nothing you can do. You are beginning to lose hope that you will ever be able to enjoy even the small things in life. You may suffer from depression, or you may have nightmares in which you relive your accident.
You may feel that it is unfair that you and your loved ones are suffering because someone else was careless. You are correct — it is not fair. In a perfect world, every driver would be alert, unimpaired and cautious. Every property owner or manager would ensure that their premises were safe and well-maintained. Every manufacturer, including automakers, would ensure that every product was flawless and safe. Every trucking company would make sure that their drivers were sober, careful operators who followed every law meticulously.
Unfortunately, the world and the people inhabiting it are not perfect. That is why societies have always been forced to create legal codes. Some laws exist to punish wrongdoers, but other laws exist to protect those who have been injured due to the negligence of others. The area of personal injury law is a wide one, covering everything from dog bites and defective products to premises liability and vehicle accidents. By securing the services of an experienced personal injury attorney, you might be able to receive financial compensation for all or some of the following.
- Medical expenses are often a major part of a settlement or judgment. You could receive compensation for your past medical expenses as well as those for your future care.
- Lost wages and/or diminished earnings can be another important category. Again, you might be eligible for both past and future losses.
- If your car, motorcycle, bicycle or other vehicle suffered damage, you could receive the cost of repairing or replacing it.
- If your injury required you to hire someone to help with your care or to perform tasks you normally handled yourself, you might be able to receive reimbursement.
- You may be eligible to receive compensation for your pain and suffering. Furthermore, if the defendant was guilty of gross negligence, you might also be awarded punitive damages.
PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEYS
- Economic damages are those that can be assigned a fixed monetary value. They include the repair or replacement of your vehicle, your medical expenses that are related to the accident, and your future and past earnings.
- Noneconomic damages are meant to compensate you for damages that cannot be assigned a fixed monetary value. They include your mental anguish if you suffer a mental or physical impairment, your pain and suffering, and your loss of the ability to enjoy life.
- Punitive damages can be assessed to punish someone where that was an intent to inflict harm, the driver was guilty of reckless endangerment, or the driver was driving under the influence or guilty of another type of criminal misconduct. An attorney who has extensive experience in the area of auto accident law can be an extremely valuable member of your team.